New! Coming soon:
- Chinese translation of Educating Young Giants: What Kids Learn (And Don’t Learn) in China and America by one of China’s largest publishing houses.
- Spring 2015 launch of the traveling exhibit Two Roads, One Journey: Education in China and the U.S. developed by MOTAL (The Museum of Teaching and Learning) and based largely on Educating Young Giants and associated work.
- More to come!
Chinese collaborations and school visits, October 2014
October 7-11 – China Women’s University, Beijing – working on a conference presentation, “Preschool Oral Language Development in China,” with my research partner, Yu Zhenyou
October 12-17 – Nanjing University, Nanjing – collaborating on projects for Mount St. Mary’s College, observing in schools, and gathering materials and information for the Museum of Teaching and Learning exhibit.
October 18-21 – Xi’an, Shaanxi Province – observing in schools and interviewing An Wei, the Chinese farmer about whom I am writing a biography.
Consulting on Inquiry Science Education in Spain
(Fundació Catalana per a la Recerca i la innovació, www.fundaciorecerca.cat)
Dates: November 17-24, 2014, with my husband, Caltech professor Jerome Pine
Discussions with educators and policy makers about how to implement successful, interactive science learning in K-12 schools.
Preschool Oral Language Development in China
Presentation with Yu Zhenyou from Beijing
Place: Literacy Research Association Conference
Marco Island Marriott
Marco Island, Florida
Date: December 4, 2014
- August 1, 2014 – Irvine, CA Topic: Chinese Learning Compared to U.S. Learning Sponsor: Concordia University Asia Programs
- April 19 – May 4, 2014 Collaborations with Nanjing University, East China Normal University, and China Women’s University, including:
- development of programs with Mount St. Mary’s College
- observations of schools in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, and Hefei, Anhui Province
- research about children’s learning
- interviews for my next book
- collecting of artifacts for Museum of Teaching and Learning (MOTAL) exhibit
- April 16, 2014 – Claremont, CA Topic: China and U.S. Schooling Compared Sponsor: School of Educational Studies, Claremont Graduate University. Watch a video of the presentation here.
- April 3, 2014 – Stockton, CA Topic: What Kids Learn and Don’t Learn in Chinese and U.S. Schools Sponsor: San Joaquin Delta College, The College Hour at Delta
- February 11, 2014 – Los Angeles, CA Topic: Understanding Chinese Education Sponsor: Mount St. Mary’s College Instructional Leadership Program
- November 6, 2013 – Davis, CA Topic: Chinese and U.S. Education Compared Sponsor: University of California at Davis
- November 5, 2013 – Sacramento, CA Topic: Critical Thinking in Chinese & American Education Sponsor: Cosumnes River College, Dept. of Sociology
- October 24, 2013 – Cerritos, CA Topic: China and U.S. Schools Compared Sponsor: Cerritos Library
- October 15, 2013 – Smithfield, Rhode Island Topic: Educating Young Giants: What Kids Learn (And Don’t Learn) Sponsor: U.S.-China Institute at Bryant University
- October 11, 2013 – New York, NY Topic: Author Talk and Book Signing: Educating Young Giants Sponsor: China Institute of America
- October 9, 2013 – New Haven, CT Topic: Fireside Chat with Nancy Pine Sponsor: Yale-China Association
- October 8, 2013 – Cerritos, CA Topic: Chinese and American Schools Compared Sponsor: American Association of University Women of Somerset County
- September 1, 2013 – Arcadia, CA Topic: Comparison of China and U.S. Education Systems Sponsor: La Jaja Kidsfest and Family Expo
- May 19, 2013 – Monterey Park, CA Topic: Chinese and American Education Compared ponsor: Monterey Park Bruggemeyer Library
- April 21, 2013 – Pacific Asia Museum, Pasadena Topic: “Authors on Asia” Series
- April 17, 2013 – San Gabriel, CA Topic: What Can Chinese and U.S. Educators Learn from Each Other? Sponsor: Delta Kappa Gamma, an international society of educators
- March 7, 2013 – China Women’s University, Beijing, China Topic: U.S. and China Preschools: Contrasts and Similarities Sponsor: School of Child Development and Education Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Beijing
- February 19-March 10, 2013 Observing in schools, giving talks and consulting, working with Mount St. Mary’s faculty in China on an NEH grant project, making arrangements for future collaborations between Janjing University and Mount St. Mary’s.
- February 23, 2013 – Chinese University of Hong Kong Topic: What Does Creativity Mean for Chinese Education? Sponsors: Comparative Education Society of Hong Kong and Hong Kong Institute of Education
- February 12, 2013 – University of the Pacific, Stockton, CATopic: Education in China and the United StatesSponsor: School of International Studies: Tuesday World Forum
- February 11, 2013 – Rossmoor Community, Walnut Creek, CA Topic: Educating Kids in China and America Sponsor: Chinese American Association at Rossmoor Community
- October 2-8, 2012, Beijing: Writing a paper with my research associate at China Women’s University; interviewing AnWei, the subject of my next book; hunting down visits for the Mount St. Mary’s College faculty visit in March; visiting friend
- October 9-16, 2012, Nanjing: Consulting with Nanjing University English Department; making arrangements for the March Mount St. Mary’s College faculty visit for the NEH grant, Women in China; visiting elementary and high schools; collaborating with colleagues; visiting friends.
- November 12, 2012 – Distant Lands Bookstore and Travel OutfitterTopic: The Cultural Ins and Outs of Visiting China
- October 26, 2012 – Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona Topic: Performance vs. Improvisation in Chinese and U.S. Schools Sponsor: Comparative International Education Society, Western Conference
- August 26, 2012 – Adult Education Forum at All Saints Church Topic: Educating Young Giants Sponsor: All Saints Church, Pasadena
- August 23, 2012 – YinYang: The Way of Ways, Women in China lecture by Robin Wang, Director of Asian and Pacific Studies, Loyola Marymount University and collaborator in the Mount St. Mary’s College Bridging Cultures: US/China Program Sponsor: Women in China grant from the National Endowment of the Humanities for Mount St. Mary’s College
- August 22, 2012 – Interview with Chu Guofei, deputy director, North American Office, The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, and editor of the English language newspaper Topic: Views on Chinese and American education for The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Chinese and English language newspapers
- August 20, 2012 – Discussion with Delegation from the academic presses of the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences Topic: Trends in the Social Sciences in the United States Sponsor: Mount St. Mary’s College, Los Angeles
- August 3, 2012 – Talk to Preschool Specialists from Guangzhou, China Topic: Dynamic Trends in Preschool Education in America and China Sponsor: The Los Angeles Guangzhou Sister City Association
- June 12, 2012 ~ “Food for Thought” lunch and discussion Topic: Chinese and American Education Sponsor: Center for Cultural Fluency, Mount St. Mary’s College, Los Angeles
- June 1 (in China) & June 2 (in the United States) – Children’s Day
- May 22, 2012 – Book Release of Educating Young Giants: What Kids Learn (And Don’t Learn) in China and America (Palgrave Macmillan Publishers) Available at all booksellers.
- April 30,2012 – Advance copies of Educating Young Giants: What Kids Learn (And Don’t Learn) in China and America arrived!
- April 14, 2012 – Open conversation with education and Asia experts at Mt. San Antonio Gardens, Pomona, California
- March 25, 2012 – Conversations with parents in Beijing comparing Chinese and American education. Which would be better for their children?
- March 18-24, 2012 – Meetings at Nanjing University and visits to middle schools, Nanjing, China
- March 15, 2012 – Mount St. Mary’s College Inauguration Symposium, “Aiming toward College in China and the United States: A Comparison.” Los Angeles